Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Our Birth Story, Part 2


This part will take us from our arrival at the hospital  to the "it's time to push..." In this installment, you learn that I dilated very rapidly and we had BOTH of my parents AND my mother-in-law in the room when I delivered. I know, right? Bet you're DYING to hear how that went down. Read on...

We arrived at the hospital and the very flustered father-to-be was trying to convince me to let him drop me off and go park the car.  I told him that I was the one in labor, I knew how I was doing, and I would be fine to walk in with him. I would much rather have walked the extra steps than been up there without him wondering where he was. I needed my hubby there with me.  We gathered our things and headed in, Jeff looked like a pack mule.  I remember feeling my belly as we walked across the street, it felt so different without all the amniotic fluid in there and I wondered what it was like for the Beavlet.  I knew he could notice the difference, I wondered what he thought of it!

We got inside and rode up in the elevator, they were expecting us because I had dutifully called ahead as soon as I knew we were going.  I was surprised that the nurses were not more trusting when I told them my water had broken.  “Was it a trickle or was it a gush?” They asked, “Well, we’ll check you before we formally admit you.”  I felt like informing them that I wasn’t some ill-informed teenager, my frickin’ water had frickin’ broken already so they could skip the conservative protocols and just settle us in for the long haul already!  But, I dutifully humored them.  It wasn’t long before Sarah, our nurse said, “Well, your water did break!”  Ever heard the phrase, “No @#$%, Sherlock?”  That applies.

I changed into a gown and they hooked me up to the monitor to hear our little boy’s heartbeat. We were SO relieved when we heard him in there, no distress, just as strong and calm as he could be.  Our little man, unphased by his impending entry into the world and all the changes going on around him in the only world he'd ever known.  She checked my cervix and told me I was 3 cm dilated, 100% effaced.  I was disappointed, I had expected to be further along.  I resigned myself to a looooooong journey ahead.

Then, the poking and the prodding commenced.  They tried to take blood, they gave me antibiotics (Group B strep, you know), they tried to take blood again…it was all very uncomfortable.  Add to that the fact that my contractions had changed.  Remember that pain I described from my birthday? Well, it was back.  It appeared that I was going to be one of those unfortunate women who had what is known as back labor. Just the mention of the words “back labor” evoke groans and winces from those who have had it or been close to someone who has. It isn’t fun, and I couldn’t BELIEVE it was happening to me.  But, it was happening. To me. I was way less than thrilled.

I couldn’t get comfortable. My back hurt even BETWEEN contractions, which now sometimes seemed to be right on top of one another.  Jeff turned the Timbers match on, the previous spring they had gotten me through the feverish first night of strep throat, they were going to get me through labor as well. But, it was not to be.  Things disintegrated really fast.  Not in terms of the baby or me being in any danger, it was always clear that we were both fine. I just hurt a lot and wasn’t having those breaks between contractions to rest and relax and change position like they told us in our birthing classes. Plus, they hadn’t been able to draw my blood so there were two more nurses trying two more times, poking me in the arm and hand repeatedly, while I tried to breathe through contractions.

Per my request, Jeff texted my mother to tell her I wanted to see her when she got there.  We had originally thought we wanted nobody in the room but us, but when a girl hurts THAT MUCH, she needs her Mommy!!!

So, in my parents came, both of them. I didn’t mind having my dad there, he’d always been so matter-of-fact about my “female stuff” throughout my life, treating things like periods and pap smears and cramps as just another part of his daughter’s health, not any grosser, scarier, or of less concern to him because he didn’t have the same equipment. So, I wasn’t worried about having him the room with me. My mom prayed with me and over me, it was exactly what I needed and right then, I decided that I needed her in the room with me when I delivered him. 

The contractions were SO BAD, I thought I might pass out.  I went into labor with very little fear, my family history is of quick and easy labors so I hadn’t grown up hearing horror stories, and I also knew it was a very natural process, which women had been doing successfully since the beginning of the human race.  The one thing that did scare me, however, was the potential for me to pass out. My early experiences with an overactive thyroid meant that I had gotten lightheaded quite easily during some very formative years and at the outset of pregnancy, my blood pressure had tanked and I got lightheaded very easily that time as well.  The pain I could handle, but with each successive contraction, the pain got more intense and realized that I wasn’t going to be any good to my baby boy unconscious.

My mom said to me, “What would be so bad about getting an epidural?  You need to take care of yourself.”  I REALLY wanted to do it without one, and there were two main reasons:  the first was that I had been enormously protective of my baby boy throughout pregnancy, and I felt the same about delivery. The idea of being numb, of not being able to FEEL what he was going through as he exited my body, that scared me more than the pain.  Also, call me weird, but I was also more scared of a needle going into my spinal area than if pushing a small human out of my body.  Birth? Natural.  Needle in back? Not natural.  Scared me.

At this point, however, I had only been in labor for about three hours, it had only been about an hour and a half since my first cervix check had revealed that I had only dilated one centimeter since the previous WEDNESDAY…the back labor was too much, I couldn’t do this for nine or ten more hours. If I’d had breaks between contractions with no pain, fine, but that wasn’t happening.  I was no good to my son unconscious, so I had the nurse call the anesthesiologist.  He was  a few rooms away, and I remember feeling so much relief and praying with my mom to thank the Lord for pain meds and that I was going to get some relief from this pain.

Jeff was so supportive the whole time.  He knew how much I wanted to give birth with no pain medication, but he was also totally supportive of me deciding I couldn’t take it and that the best thing for baby and me would be to get the epidural.  How he walked that line so perfectly between pushing me toward what he knew I wanted but then gracefully stepping aside from that and supporting me through what I now felt was necessary…amazing.

In the meantime, they had been asking me all evening “Are you nauseous, are you nauseous.” The answer was always, “no.” I felt like I was having a hard time on the OTHER end of my digestive tract, but nauseous I was not.  While we waited for the anesthesiologist,  I was asked again.  No, I told them, I still was not nauseous.  And I wasn’t. Not at all, not even a little bit.  That did not stop me, however, from INSTANTANEOUSLY throwing up.  I mean, zero to puke in less than 5 seconds.  Never experienced anything like it. It was like the exact opposite of my first trimester when I would go days on end, nauseous as could be, and yet never throwing up.

There were two nurses in the room, our L&D nurse, Sarah,  and another, higher-ranking nurse who had come in because nobody else was able to successfully draw my blood and she was, as they say, the big guns.  Well, the minute I threw up, Sarah went about cleaning me up (I think I puked on Jeff, my mom, and my dad’s shoes) and she and The Big Guns Nurse exchanged knowing glances, and The Big Guns Nurse said, “Honey, I don’t think you’re going to be needing that epidural.” 

Huh?  What the heck did she mean?  Just because I threw up?
The anesthesiologist was in the room, setting up his equipment.  “Hold on!” she told him, “Let me check her cervix.” So, she checked me.

“Yup,” she said, “Just as I thought. You’re completely dilated, no epidural, it’s time to push.  Call the doctor in!” 

 I was flabbergasted.  Fully dilated is ten centimeters.  I had been only three centimeters dilated less than two hours earlier. My mom, she of the three hour labor, shook her head knowingly.  “Yep, that’s what happens in our family.”  Sarah had told me that at 100% effaced, it was likely that I would, “Go very quickly,” but I don’t think she meant THIS!

As the anesthesiologist left the room, there was a flurry of “Wait?  7 cm in less than 2 hours?”  “You’re kidding!”  “No wonder she was about to pass out!”  Those, of course, were mostly coming from my parents and Jeff, while I’m sure progressing that quickly is not common, I imagine the team of doctors and nurses had seen it before.  If I’d known I was progressing that quickly, I could have dealt with the pain.  It wasn’t anything I couldn’t handle for the length of time I’d had it, it was just something I knew I couldn’t have handled for hours and hours and hours on end. 

They told us in our birthing classes, “A quick labor is not necessarily good. It means a lot of pain in a really short amount of time.  Personally,” she said, “I’d rather have a longer labor.”  I can’t say I agree with her on the second part, but the first part sure made me feel better about my wimpiness!!! J

Preparations began for the actual birth of our little boy, and I felt once again that same rush of excitement, joy, and fear.  It was only a matter of MINUTES now, barely a heartbeat in comparison to the past 39 weeks and 1 day.  However, it was going to hurt.  I knew that for sure now, because I was going to be completely unmedicated. 

At that point, I made a decision that shocked the heck out of me. I decided to let BOTH of my parents stay in the room, and have Jeff go get his mother from the waiting room. I know, right?  First of all, I was in so much pain that modesty completely deserted me. Also, they’d all been there before. But,more importantly, I knew even in my pain-muddled and overwhelmed state, that their joy in being there for the birth of their first grandchild would be far greater than my desire for modesty.  I knew they would all be “above the sheet,” so to speak, and I trusted all of them implicitly. I told my dad later, “When you’re matter-of-fact and not scared or intimidated or grossed out by all of your daughter’s female stuff growing up, you get to see your grandchild born.” J

So, Jeff went to go get his mom, the nurses bustled around busily as we waited for the doctor to arrive, and thus ends part 2 of our journey.  To follow shortly, the third and final installment in which we meet Mister Cameron Lauren Rask and his perfect self.


No comments:

Post a Comment